E.F.S.A. Aviation School Armed Amy (Planet Green Valley)

Insert hilarious jokes about this toy giving me Coronavirus here!
Yes, since it seems like people like me rambling on about toys and I've done more than my fair share of movie reviews, I felt like we should take some time really hash out some of the new figures I've decided to welcome into my home for one reason or another. And, as promised in the last toy review, this one is from a new player in the game. For all the 1/18 scale enthusiasts out there, like me, it's been a bit rough since G.I. Joe dried up due to Hasbro not really giving much of a shit. Which, if we're being entirely honest here, is something we should've seen coming after the rather ho-hum 50th Anniversary wave was made not only the exclusive to a dead toy store but also consisted almost exclusively of old parts slapped together with the occasional new head sculpt and terrible paint applications.

Sorry, not sorry.
As such, it mostly fell to other companies to scratch that 1/18 scale itch for us, to varying degrees of quality. Yes, we will be exploring some offerings from other such companies later. For now though, let's take a look at Amy's packaging, as that's new so it's worth remarking about at least once, right? First, I want to say I like the overall design. It hearkens back to an older era but has the added bonus of not using glue, thus allowing for her card not to be destroyed utterly as rip the bubble from it. It's attached with strategic staples and slides off. Very nice. And the back? It has a giant wordy bio about what Planet Green Valley's lore basically is.

It's deep, it's sci-fi, it exists.
What immediately caught me off guard at first though is likely something you already noticed at the start though, that being the art of Amy herself. It is clearly a traced photo of the figure wearing a bunch of (not all) of its kit. I like that they tried to incorporate art of the character but it ultimately looks kinda cheap, honestly. I would've preferred no art to this and I'm not only saying that because it is ultimately a Photoshop traced action figure. For what it is, it's nicely traced, but there's no getting around what it is. That being said, let's free her from her plastic prison and see what we're working with.

Because she really looks a bit sad in there. Like she's experiencing deep regret after paying to see Joker in theaters. I feel you, Amy. I really do.
Out of the package she's a right mess of bits and bobs all over. Tons of pieces to put on her in various ways. All of the pieces are amazingly well sculpted, looking bloody brilliant in hand. But alas, not all is well in our land as I found actually getting stuff on her to a literal fight. No joke, I hurt my hand attacked her arm armour pad thing because it such a stiff piece already being pulled tightly over more stiff plastic. It's a yikes-a-rama for all those hoping to get all her gear on her as it simply isn't gonna happen without some seriously work.

This is quite literally all I could get on her. That's it.
Her mask barely stays on, her vest doesn't want to fasten, getting the kneepads on along with the legs holsters feels like a lost cause, her two scarves will not fit on while wearing the vest, and she has this little wire that I have no clue where goes so I just kinda had to figure something out. It's more than a bit disappointing, really, as I was super excited by the promo images of her in all her kit looking like a commando schoolgirl ready to take on whatever. Instead I'm just left with a lot of kibble that just won't work together.

I mean, look at all the pieces I have to leave laying aside. Just call it dogfood because that's a heap of Kibbles 'n Bits.
The figure itself is very nicely sculpted though, which should be obvious from the photos. She's capable of quite a bit of dynamic posing and her skirt is surprisingly flexible while still feeling rather durable. As you see above, she does have alternate hands you can swap, which pop out easily enough that I don't feel like I'm gonna break them but stay in tightly enough that I don't fear them falling out. She does have a feature I was a bit off-put by though, that being her thong. Yes, Action Amy her is sporting a white thong.

Is this going to be a thing in this line? Because I'm more than a little uncomfortable.
Alien fighting combat gear thongs aside, she's a well constructed figure but the issues with her accessories are really the only thing keeping me from making her a solid recommendation for anyone other that customizers who will surely get use out of all of it regardless of whether she can wear it. Not gonna lie, I actually pretty much bought her for that very reason, as I am a customizer. If she looks and sounds like something you'd want to invest your money in, go for it. Just be careful, the kibble can hurt like a bitch.

And seriously, where does this wire go?! REVEAL YOUR SECRETS, AMY!

Comments